ONLINE - LIVE - SYNCHRONOUS
Bastyr University Non-Credit Aromatherapy & Essential Oils
Module One: Foundations of Essential Oil and Aromatherapy
Instructor: Jimm Harrison
Dates: Friday, August 3 - Sunday, August 5
Location: Live Online with Adobe Connect
Times: Friday, 11AM - 5PM; Saturday and Sunday, 11AM to 6PM. All times PST.
Pre-register to hold your spot, and qualify for the Earlybird discount ($100 off)
Explore the holistic and therapeutic functions of essential oils in complimentary health, wellness and beauty treatment. Become familiar with quality control issues and best practices in developing formulations for professional and personal use. Learn the fundamental knowledge necessary for competent and efficacious use of essential oils and aromatherapy. Moving beyond a simple definition of individual oils, you will gain an understanding of the chemical composition of essential oils; holistic properties and contraindications; their impact on body systems and olfaction; and the relation to energy principles.
The 20-hour seminar includes 17 hours of classroom experience and three to six hours of self-study. Classroom experience will include lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice.
Cost includes a classroom essential oil kit (with shipping) for experiential use. Complete this seminar and begin to use your new-found skills immediately, or continue your studies by completing the entire Aromatherapy & Essential Oils Certificate Program.
Three sectors of holistic healing with essential oils | Definitions of aromatherapy and essential oils | History of aromatherapy
The olfactory system and the sense of smell | Psycho-aromatherapy - use of essential oils for mood and emotions
Essential oil distillation and other plant essence extractions | Essential oil quality | Specified botanical origin
Essential oil chemistry and the Structure Effect Diagram | Molecular groupings and their properties
Chemotypes | Therapeutic properties of essential oils |Contraindications and safety | Diversity of essential oil application
Creating synergies | Formulation and dilution percentages | Fragrance notes | Structure Effect Diagram and the skin
Essential oils in cosmetic formulation | Essential oils in relation to diet/nutrition | Carrier oils for blending and their properties
Steps to creating essential oil formula for therapeutic purposes | 30 essential oils and their properties | Aromatherapy consultation
Formulas for therapeutic purpose | Creating the blends for massage or skin care
Upon completion of the seminar you will be able to:
- Accurately define essential oils and aromatherapy.
- Describe the sense of smell and the effect of odor on the brain’s limbic system, memory and emotion, and it’s relation to essential oil use.
- Define genuine and authentic essential oils.
- Select essential oils according to their chemical makeup, properties and safety using the Structure-Effect Diagram.
- Select appropriate application and dosing for essential oil treatments following a review of eight application methods and four categories of dosing.
- Formulate with essential oils using the given equation for calculating drops used.
- Identify the chemistry, properties and use of at least 15 essential oils.
- Competently create a formula and blend of essential oils based on the learning objectives for this seminar.
- Use essential oils with awareness of state and federal regulations, individual scope of practice, confidentiality of client and ethics.
This class is part of a non-credit program offered by Bastyr’s Certificate, Community and Continuing Education Department. To read about the program's course sequence, requirements and fees, click here.
This seminar has been designed for health care professionals; however, the general public is invited to attend as well.
Eligible for 17 CEUs, PDAs, CMEs, and/or CEs for the following professions:
ND (except those licensed in CA & OR)
MD & PA - Category II CMEs (those licensed in WA)
ARNP & RN (licensed in WA)
LMP (licensed in WA)
Eligibility Pending: LMP NCBTMB CEs
PT & OT (licensed in WA)
Eligibility Pending: LAc - NCCAOM PDAs
LAc (licensed in CA)
Eligibility Pending - Reflexologist - ARCB CE
Note: It is recommended that you register at least two weeks prior to start of the seminar to obtain the essential oil kit, required text, and have time to complete the pre-class reading.
Click HERE to learn more about our certificate program, classes, and webinars